Saturday, June 05, 2010

Aloooooooooone

I love my kid. I love her more than just about anything in the world, with the possible exception of her father and followed distantly by chocolate or possibly ice cream. I adore being with her, she's fun to play with, and 90% of the time, she's great company. She is my great big girl and my baby and I marvel that I still can't get enough of her after almost four years of her constant company.

Which is why I feel no shame in saying that I am alone in my house for the first time in at least a month or two and have been for hours and hours and IT IS FREAKING AWESOME.

She and Brett went off to the zoo around eleven and have yet to return, nearing 3 p.m. This is an exceptional event partly because we've all been out of town so much lately that there's been no chance for her and Daddy to go have an adventure together without me, and also because most of the time, she refuses to do anything that takes her more than three feet from my side.  

Brett: Want some ice cream, kid?  
Her: Is Mommy coming?

Brett: I'll buy you a pony!
Her: Will Mommy be there?


You get the idea.


So today feels like a lovely little vacation. I am alone! Alone! And it's a gorgeous day. Unfortunately, I had to study for part of this little bit of wonderfulness, but I got that done, and even just the uniqueness of having two uninterrupted hours to study was novel. No preschool pickup deadline looming. No naptime I'm monitoring with a little bit of my brainpower. Just me and some green tea and maybe a cat and a wide open front door with the sunshine pouring in.

And then I went outside and ate my lunch on the porch. Leftovers from last night, yummy ones. Nomnomnom. And then I weeded a little and filled up a yard waste bin. (Ok, more than a little.) And then I showered. And you know what?

They're STILL not home.

This is better, almost, than a spa treatment. Although I can't wait to hear all about her morning. And I'm sure they'll be back soon. But I have been craving a little bit of time like this for a lo-o-o-ong time and getting it has been awesome.

Those of you without kids just ignore me. Those of you who are someday going to have some, well, you'll be here someday. :)

1 comment:

Shana said...

Oh man I need some of that too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails