Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My weekend's work

I started these two quilts maybe five and six years ago, respectively. One of them got set aside because it was a mess - the white irish chain below is the first quilt I worked on after I got my first sewing machine, and I had no idea what I was doing. It's lumpy, it's bumpy, its corners don't match up well, you name it, this quilt has it. But I saw it on the shelf the other day looking all cheerful and Christmas-like, and it was already pinned and just begging to be quilted, so I figured why not. I did a quick round of freestyle quilting on it, bound it, and washed it -- and in spite of its many flaws, I have to admit I'm really glad I did. It's cute.



And then there's this one, that I started about a year after the nine patch. It's much nicer, in that I was a bit more experienced by that point. Why I set it aside, I don't really know -- I think I wasn't very experienced at the quilting stage then and was afraid I'd ruin it. So while I was on a productive kick this weekend I also blocked and pinned this one, quilted it, and bound it. And I'm so thrilled that I did! Isn't it pretty? Just in time for Christmas, during which season it will live on the back of my red living room couch. Looking festive, if I do say so myself.



I especially like how the stripy binding came out. I love stripy binding.


Getting both of these done in one weekend made me feel all studly like. It's amazing what you can do when you don't have a pressing need to do homework. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails