Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I made a pillow!

Pillows are one of those things I've just never known how to make, but it turns out that your basic envelope pillow cover is ridiculously simple. Wow. My first project, at left. This is a hunk of flannel remnant I bought a while back and never used. It's soft and cheerful and I'm really happy with it!

There are many, many great tutorials out there - here's the one I used, from Megacrafty.

Now that I know how to do this, I predict that we're going to see a lot of changing pillow covers around the house. I've always liked the idea of swapping out pillows and throw blankets with the change of seasons - something a little more warm and cozy in the winter, something lighter and brighter in the summer. So yay! New skills.

On other fronts, Brett is off to a new job this week which will have him working out of the house most of the time. This has brought about a number of changes for the family, one of which is that because he now gets up at six a.m., Sofie inevitably hears him putzing around in the kitchen and wanders out around 6:30 to join him, which is a whole hour earlier than she is usually up.

It's actually very sweet -- they sit down at the dining room table and have breakfast together every morning and chit chat. I'm usually awake but I like to stay in bed and listen to them having their little moment of connection. It reminds me of growing up; my dad was an early riser and I often had my cereal with him sitting at the kitchen table with me, while the rest of the house was still asleep. Those early morning talks were always important to me, and I like that Sofie is now doing this too.

That said, it leaves her tired and cranky by her normal bedtime, this getting up at the crack of dawn. Yesterday, we had friends over to play and at 6:30 p.m. she just lost her marbles, cried and yelled, and them climbed into bed with a book to wait for me to see everyone out and read to her. She was asleep by 7:15. *boggle* This might actually be a good thing, as it means Brett and I get a nice long evening together and lots of time for studying and projects and whatnot.

The other big change with Brett's job, of course, is just that the house is empty now during the day and kind of lonely! I'm getting used to it, though, and finding it makes me want to clean. I did Flylady's weekly home blessing routine yesterday morning for the first time ever -- a one hour cleaning that you do once a week, where you spend ten minutes each on a series of six tasks designed to make your whole house look a lot more presentable in a quick way. Vacuum the middle of rooms, quick mop, take out the papers and magazines, change the sheets, etc.

And it was awesome! Things felt really clean, and Sofie even helped me do it. Except then we had a huge playdate and messed it all up again. :) C'est la vie.

Today I'm slow cooking lamb shanks in wine and rosemary and garlic and the house smells divine. It's a recipe, from The Italian Slow Cooker by Michele Sicolone, which I got yesterday with my reward dollars at Santoros, our favorite little neighborhood bookstore. It smells fantastic and in eight hours I'm sure it will taste really, really good.

That's it for today!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails