Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kindergarten: rhombuses but no stuffed animals

School is continuing to go well, although really bonding with the new kids and making friends is slow. Right now Sofie sounds like she spends her recesses with a girl from another kindergarten class who was in her swimming classes this summer. Nonetheless, she seems to be making friends. Yesterday we were on the playground in the morning, waiting for the bell, when two little girls ran by holding hands and then backed up and screeched to a stop in front of us.

"HI SOFIE!" they shouted, and then off the three of them went, giant backpacks swinging wildly behind them.

I stuck around to make sure she got to her classroom after the bell, but when it rang she took off with her friends for the door without so much as a glance my way. I followed discreetly (I had her lunchbox) and had to laugh as I observed her trying in vain to get through the school entrance in the swarm of many, many bigger kids.

Sofie is not a confident one when it comes to pushing through a crowd or holding her place in line. Given the least resistance or shoving from others, she entirely gives way and will be the absolute last one in line. This was no different. From her initial position in the middle of the crowd, I watched her get pushed further and further to the side until she was basically flat against the brick wall holding on for dear life as all of the first through fifth graders rushed in. She was glad to see me when I came to rescue her. Funny little thing, her.

***

I'm not sure what goes on in kindergarten these days. Sofie came home yesterday telling all about two things:
  • Learning in gym class about how running around makes your heart beat faster, which she then proceeded to demonstrate for us at various points throughout the evening, and
  • Somewhere she learned what an ellipse, rhombus, trapezoid, and hexagon were. Rhombus? They teach rhombuses in kindergarten?  
Sounds like there's more happening in a kindergarten class than the endless rounds of tinker toys and giant blocks I remember.

***

Today she had her first bout of not really wanting to go. It wasn't exactly antipathy to school as much as the fact that she wanted to keep playing with her doll(cat)house. Why do I have to go? I want to keep playing! she cried. And more stirringly, But there's no stuffed animals there!

Well actually, she told me later, there are some stuffed animals. In a secret place outside her classroom. But all they have are otters and dogs.

She never did tell me where this secret place is.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails